SMBUp 1.4.0 - Reinstate and manage Samba on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.. (Free): "
SMBUp re-instates Samba as a service of your mac and provides a simple interface to manage the service.
NOTE: The application is donationware. A reminder will appear upon startup once a day; it can be dismissed by checking the donation checkbox. The checkbox is based on the system of honor: It won't do any verification on whether the donation has effectively been made.
Keep in mind that while the application will allow you to create users for accessing authenticated shares it will only warn if those users have more than 15 groups assigned to them, even though OS X Lion won't allow such users to authenticate properly. Make sure you edit those users' groups to reduce their number.
The application is not crippled in any way if no donation is made, although donations are appreciated as they help us continue improving the software and providing new tools :)
- Added additional situations where system could fail to come out of a loop when starting the service
- Re-set System images to use PNG instead of TIFF in 10.7.4 (thanks for the heads-up, Apple! -NOT-)
- Hence: 10.7.4 compatibility
- Mac OS X Lion Server compatibility confirmed
- Converted some mandatory fields into optional, as per Samba spec. Should avert some "key not found" errors
- Fixed several interface bugs and text copy
- Decided against adding nagscreens for donations or changing the app to crippled shareware.
- Added a big "Thank you!" note to the donation checkbox. Donors should feel better for it :)
Mac OS X 10.7 or later
(Via MacUpdate - Mac OS X.)