Skype 22.214.171.1245 - Voice-over-internet phone and chat software.. (Free): "
Skype allows you to talk to friends, family and co-workers across the internet without the inconvenience of long distance telephone charges. Using peer-to-peer data transmission technology, Skype eliminates the central server as a middle manager.
Today, millions of individuals and businesses are taking advantage of Skype's diverse communication features:
- Free Skype-to-Skype
- Landline and cellphone calling
- SMS and instant messaging
- Free video calls
- Call forwarding to your phone when you're offline
- Move it around. Tony Bates, President of the Skype division of Microsoft, mentioned a few weeks ago at the D10 Conference that we have continued to evolve the Skype for Mac user interface based on your feedback. You've been very vocal with your thoughts about the revamped full-screen user interface we introduced in Skype 5.0 and we've been listening intently. For this reason, we're excited to announce the return of the slim contact list that so many of you have been requesting. Now you can reposition and resize your contact list however you like. We believe this change will simplify your experience.
- Mobile love. We're making Skype video calls better. When you're talking with someone who is using Skype for iPhone, Skype for iPad or Skype for Android and that person rotates their mobile device from portrait to landscape (or the other way around), Skype for Mac will now detect this and automatically re-orient the video call. If you've held or plan to hold a video call with someone who is using Skype for Windows Phone, the same auto-rotation feature is already supported.
- Share with Multiple People. We're also improving Screen Sharing, which lets you share your desktop over a call or show friends and family your photos. For our Skype Premium subscribers ($9.99/month or just $4.99/month if you pay for an entire year), the latest Mac release will simultaneously display your live video alongside your photos, so your friends can also see you and you can see their reactions. This works as a Premium feature with both one-to-one Screen Sharing, as well as Group Screen Sharing (for use on video calls with up to 10 people). Of course, if you simply want to share your screen with someone else for free over an audio call, that's still free.
- Ready to Roar. Skype 5.8 for Mac is also built to work with Apple's forthcoming desktop operating system, OS X Mountain Lion, in addition to being compatible with past versions of OS X going all the way back to Leopard.
- More to come. Another feature many of you having been asking for - the ability to open chats in separate windows and keep track of what's going on with multiple contacts at once - will be coming to Skype for Mac real soon. Stay tuned for additional updates.
Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later
(Via MacUpdate - Mac OS X.)