SMBUp 22.214.171.124.0 - Reinstate and manage Samba on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.. (Free): "
SMBUp re-instates Samba as a service of your mac and provides a simple interface to manage the service.
The application is donationware. A reminder will appear upon startup once a day, this can be dismissed by checking the donation checkbox. The checkbox is based on the system of honor: It won't do any verification on whether the donation has effectively been made.
Keep in mind that while the application will allow you to create users for accessing authenticated shares it will only warn if those users have more than 15 groups assigned to them, even though OS X Lion won't allow such users to authenticate properly. Make sure you edit those users' groups to reduce their number.
The application is not crippled in any way if no donation is made, although donations are appreciated as they help us continue improving the software and providing new tools :)
- Improved configuration settings UI for shares and globals
- Added basic support for authenticated shares
- Added basic user management (create, delete). Delete and re-add to change password.
- Added basic support for HOME shares, pointing to users's home directories
- Added safeguard to protest existing installations of MacPorts when uninstalling
- Added checks to ensure process is not started until a valid config file is in place
- Added basic update notification
- Modified default config settings to better suit Mac OS X's needs
- Added a global 5-minute timeout authentication timer (Mac OS X Padlock)
- Added menu shortcuts for more functions
- Fixed various bugfixes related to start/stop of Mac OS X native services.
Donation Window not reset upon update of new versions, so if you've checked the donation checkbox it'll keep believing so. Still, if you feel the program warrants further donations don't let this stop you :) (Update incorrectly stated 1.3.0 instead of 1.3.1. This has been fixed)
Mac OS X 10.7 or later
(Via MacUpdate - Mac OS X.)